Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Week One, and Falling Off the Wagon

So a week ago today I began striving to remove all known sources of soy from my diet. And it's been pretty amazing. I haven't been in pain. I don't even know where the pain pills are right now, which is crazy.

I suppose I should have left it at that - continuing on my journey without soy, happily enjoying life the way it used to be. But I couldn't. One day I'll learn, but today wasn't that day.

Have you ever been plodding along at something, and it's going so well you feel invincible? Well that was me, today. I felt so great, so normal that I forgot. I forgot about the breathtaking pain that doubles me over mid-step.

I remember now.

Brint suggested we go out for dinner, because another night of roast didn't sound appealing. I looked at some online menus and picked out a cobb salad from one of our favorite local places, and planned to do oil and vinegar dressing.

And then I promptly ordered pretzels and crab dip as an entree when we arrived. I convinced myself that since the soy was successfully out of my body, that a little bit wouldn't hurt. Until now I've been an "everything in moderation" person. I never thought that any food or food group should be off-limits, as long as moderation is practiced.

I have to remember that those days are over.

Trust me - supper was amazing. Maryland is known for crabs for a reason, and this was quite possibly the best crab dip I've ever had.

Now it's about 3 hours later, and I can feel the tiniest tinges of pain creeping into my abdomen. I found that bottle of pain medication and preemptively took a couple.

I'm not ashamed. I'm sure I'll eat more soy in future, purposefully and accidentally. I just have to remember that everything has a cost, and I need to be willing to pay the price. Seeing as how I want to go back to that super human high I was riding earlier, it's going to be a long while before knowingly ingest soy again.

In a nutshell, I'm not giving this thing up just yet. If anything, my meal out proved to me even more just how important it is to stick to the plan....