Search This Blog

Monday, September 26, 2011

The Dark Side of Soy

I've been doing lots of soy research over the last week and a half, and I finally found a review article worth sharing. It is co-authored by a PhD in nutrition science. Even though it is available on a dot-com site, every single statement is backed up by a numbered citation, and most of those citations are peer-reviewed articles. Check it out here. When I tested the link, it took me to page 3 of the article. Just make sure you start at the beginning! And I forgot to add - you'll need to provide an email address to be able to read the article. I keep an old, never checked email address for occasions such as these....

If you don't want to read the entire article, here are the high points:

  • Soy was held as a sacred grain by ancient Chinese dynasties, but not nutritionally- it was used in crop rotation because soy fixes nitrogen in the soil (all legumes do this).
  • Asian cultures only eat fermented soy, because non-fermented soy contains toxins called anti-nutrients. These anti-nutrients block enzyme receptors that usually absorb protein and other nutrients from the digestive tract. Soy has been shown to cause deficiencies in calcium, Vitamin K, Vitamin B, magnesium, iron and zinc, which backs up the theory of enzyme inhibiting chemicals.
  • In addition to anti-nutrients, soy contains isoflavones that mimic estrogen called genistein and diadzen, which have been linked to infertility, increased cancer risk, and thyroid malfunctions. This was even proven by the FDA's National Center for Toxicological Research in 1997 (why is the FDA Center for Toxicology researching a food product that is rampant in our food supply and not making more Americans aware?).
  • In 1998, researchers found that infants being fed soy-based formula were ingesting the estrogenic equivalent (based on body weight) of five birth control pills per day.

I think that's enough for now. Seriously, read the article. I shouldn't be surprised, but I admit that I'm aghast that the FDA has been aware of the toxicity of soy for nearly 15 years now and yet doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. 

And by the way - I'm still pain free! I've been feeling better too, not as run-down as usual. And I've been sleeping better at night. Placebo effect, perhaps, but I'm thinking it's got at least a little to do with my new and improved way of life...