Search This Blog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Breakfast Sausage

Do you need to guess how soy exists in most breakfast sausages? Natural flavors. I'll repeat earlier sentiments - why must flavorful foods be filled with natural flavors? It is naturally flavorful on its own! Anyway, here's a super easy recipe for breakfast sausage that you can make with any ground meat of your choice. We use 93% lean ground turkey, but you can use beef, pork, chicken, turkey, or a combination of meats.

Ingredients
1 pound ground meat of choice
2 Tablespoons sage
2 Teaspoons salt
1 Teaspoon black pepper
1/4 Teaspoon marjoram
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 Tablespoon crushed red pepper

Mix all of the ingredients together and enjoy! I use the paddle attachment on my Kitchen Aid mixer (my #1 favorite kitchen appliance) and it's done in a snap. If you like it spicier, you can use more crushed red pepper, or even add white pepper for a different taste. It's very versatile, and I love that I know what's going into my body. Also, it freezes well (obviously, since the meat is still raw....)

To make breakfasts faster, I cook up a pound of this on Sundays and put it in a zippy bag in the fridge. When I cook my eggs in the morning, I just crumble some in towards the end with a little cheese. It makes a great protein-packed meal that's super fast. And it's soy free. Take that, Glycine max!