Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Big Tuna

Nope, that isn't a reference to The Office. It's more of a white flag flying in defeat. My favorite brown-bag lunch protein, canned tuna, has soy in it! I bought it before my soy revelation and didn't need to check the label until last night. Apparently the tuna is cooked in soybean oil. Wouldn't you know...

So now I'm re-thinking everything I ever thought about lunch. And here's my tomorrow idea:

Kind-of Taco Salad
Ingedients:
Ground lean meat (turkey, chuck, sirloin, chicken...whatever you prefer - I shop sales, so that's gonna be my preference)
Salsa (I'll be back later with soy-free brand suggestions)
Chickpeas
Black beans
Pinto Beans
Shredded Lettuce
Cheese, if desired

Directions:
Brown the meat, add in remaining ingredients except lettuce and simmer 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!

I'm thinking this will provide ample protein, fat, and fiber to keep me full during the day. And I shouldn't get bored with it, since I can always change the type of bean, or add in avocado, or start making my own salsa...
Today is a late day (as in, I won't be home until close to 9PM), so I'm not sure if I'll swing this for lunch tomorrow, but by Wednesday I'll definitely have an update.