Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Almost Taco Salad

Supper was a yummy crock pot roast. Eye roast, to be exact, with baby red potatoes and baby carrots. Plus organic polenta from Trader Joe's. Mmmmm.


As promised, I stopped by the store on the way home to check out soy-free salsa. I forgot about the popsicles, sorry. I have to admit, I'm pretty frustrated with the food industry right now. Every single brand of salsa but one had natural flavors in it. Now tell me - why do companies have to add natural flavors to a product that is already flavorful on its own? I just don't understand. Anyway, thanks to Mrs. Renfro from Fort Worth, Texas I didn't have to ask Brint to make salsa for me after he worked a long day. He would have made the salsa, of course, but he didn't have to cook supper and I didn't want to send him right back into the kitchen. Thanks, Mrs. Renfro!

I forgot to take a pic of the ingredients list, but it went something like this: tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, garlic, salt. No suspicious names that might hide soy. Pretty cool. 

And because it was on my mind, I took some peanut butter pics of what's acceptable. Basically, if it doesn't say 'natural peanut butter', it has soy in it. Trust me, I checked every jar. So here's what I'm using:


Check out the ingredients: peanuts and salt. Wonderful. It isn't what I'm used to, but it's more....pure. It tastes like peanuts, which I think is what peanut butter is supposed to taste like anyhow. And it's not full of sugar like traditional peanut butter, which is a super cool bonus!

And now for my new lunch idea, Kind-of Taco Salad. Here are my ingredients:

The green things are bell peppers. Our department does research on food crops, and at the end of the research they give away the produce. So this summer I ended up with a ton of free green bell peppers, and I froze them for future use. Oh and I also used salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic salt, and onion powder. Here's the progression of the meal:



I used about a pound of ground turkey (93% lean), a can each of black beans, red beans, and chickpeas, an onion, and a cup of green bell pepper. The yellow things are chickpeas, not whole kernel corn. I drained and washed all of the beans before adding them in, to get rid as much of the preservatives and added sodium as possible. I'll take about a cup and a half of this in for lunch tomorrow and see how it goes, but it smells yummy!