Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cooking Spray

I eat eggs for breakfast almost every morning. On my first soy-free day, I used cooking spray with reckless abandon, not knowing that the cooking spray contained soy lecithin. It didn't even occur to me to check the label because it seemed so ridiculous. But, here it is:

Soy lecithin, our favorite emulsifying agent. I think I detest SL more than the bean itself, because it excludes so many of my favorite foods: mayonnaise, salad dressing, ice cream, the list goes on.

So after that I just started cooking my eggs without cooking spray, but that grew old, fast. And here's the solution:

The misto is an awesome oil sprayer that I picked up at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It's pretty cool, and environmentally friendly because it doesn't use aerosol. So here's the misto, dissected:

You pour about 3 ounces of oil into the canister. It's important not to fill it too full, because the extra air space is what creates the pressure for the spraying mechanism. The clear plastic piece with the attached spray button goes in, then the white cap screws on top to hold it in place. The clear plastic piece that's attached the lid of the canister is the important part: it pushes down into the clear plastic part of the spray button, creating a vacuum and increased pressure. After the pressure is built up, you can push the spray button, releasing the pressure and sending oil out through top! It's kind-of like a garden sprayer from a home improvement store, only better.

And now I can enjoy soy-free cooking spray!