Search This Blog

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Winter is Coming!

I detest winter. I'm not even that far North, but it's as far as I want to go. But I love fall. I love all the bright colors, the cool breezes, the lack of humidity, and the crunch of leaves under foot. It's just wonderful.

And I love pumpkin. Pie, bread, cheesecake (although that is but a far and distant memory). So today I've been baking sugar pumpkins, and washing and baking seeds for snacks. I'm scouring the internet for soy-free pumpkin recipes. I'll try to post more on those later this week. 

I'll also be posting on using fresh pumpkins instead of the nasty canned pumpkin that's full of chemicals (and probably soy, though I haven't verified it. Just a guess.) and artificial colorings. The real thing tastes so much better, and it's so easy I'll never use another can of pumpkin again.

Plus, a fresh sugar pumpkin (the small kind, maxing out at 5lbs) will last up to 6 months in a cool, dark location. That means pumpkin goodies at Easter! Or you can do as I do, and freeze the fresh pumpkin puree to use whenever you have a hankering.

Just a thought.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I promise I'll have plenty of pumpkin pictures soon....