Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cream cheese, anyone?

I think I may have found the first item that I will have to give up absolutely.

Cream cheese. This includes cheese cake, cream cheese cake icings, and spinach artichoke dip (a stab in the heart). Why? Because I have yet to find a cream cheese that is soy free. Every one I've looked at has xanthan gum (which is yet another code name for soy).

I'm not exactly sure what xanthan gum does, or is... but it's there.

I've been able to substitute or make my own replacement for soy filled staples, and I've been trying to find ways to make my own cream cheese, but no dice. I don't think it's going to be as easy as making my own bread if I do find a recipe.

And I just realized that my grandmother's famous pound cake has cream cheese in it as well. Rats.

Well here's to you, cream cheese pound cake, cheese cake, cream cheese icing, and spinach dips: we had a good run, but I'm afraid the fun is over...

C'est la vie...