Search This Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Life Sentence Is Over

Well it's been a month since I gave up soy in an attempt to overcome endometriosis-related pain. There have been a couple of instances where I know I've had trace soy, but for the most part I'm sans soy. The results? Glad you asked.
  • The obvious one: I'm pain free. Even after dropping the birth control last week, I'm back to pain free. I don't think I can put coherent sentences together to describe just how happy and elated I am. But I finally have my quality of life back. It's pretty amazing.
  • I've lost 4 pounds in a month. I know I'm not breaking any weight loss records with that one, but coming from someone who has lost and gained the same 2 pounds since January, it's exciting. 
    • An aside: soy is known to inhibit thyroid activity. I've had my thyroid checked 4 different times in recent years because I always had so many symptoms of hypothyroidism, but the bloodwork always came back clean. Perhaps the soy was interfering with enzyme receptors.... this would explain the symptoms and lack of of affected bloodwork. Just thinking out loud here...
  • I've also lost 2.75 inches this month, from all over, lending to the idea that the weight loss was mostly attributed to de-bloating. Know how when you get your period you bloat? Well that is attributed to elevated estrogen. So now that all of the soy-related estrogen is out of my body, the bloat has gone away. Thank goodness. Maybe more will follow.
  • My skin looks great. I haven't changed my moisturizers or grooming habits, but my skin looks brighter. Before it was dry and drab. Now it's much smoother, and my skin tone has really evened out. I've never really worn make up, but now I feel like I can legitimately get away with it.
  • I sleep better. For the last several months, sleep was an effort for me. I would either lay in bed for hours unable to fall asleep, or toss and turn in a barely asleep state of restlessness. Now I sleep through the night. And I'm asleep within an hour of going to bed.
  • I have more energy. Clearly, this is likely correlated to the better quality of sleep. But it's still an improvement in my life. I don't get run down at 3 in the afternoon anymore.
  • There are other improvements, but since my Mom reads this I think I'll keep them to myself. Just know that Brint is very supportive of my new lifestyle, and for good reason.
Originally I said I'd give this thing a month, and re-evaluate. Having done so, I can confidently say that I'll be making this a permanent lifestyle change. And I can't wait to tell my doctor, so hopefully she will pass the word on to her other endo patients.

The life sentence of endometriosis has not won.