Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Salad Grease

For me, the sole purpose of salad dressing is lubrication. It's a bit odd, since salad vegetables are mostly cellulose and water, but dressing-less salads seem dry to me. Maybe I don't like to feel like a cow chewing her cud. Whatever the reason, I have to to have something to grease up a salad.

Every salad dressing I've encountered thus far has soy in it. Except for the tried and true olive oil and balsamic vinegar,  I'm out of luck. But olive oil and vinegar get old, fast. So I have a new solution:

Fruit.

Mandarin oranges, to be exact. I only buy those packed in water or 100% juice (check the ingredients, because even if it says juice, they sometimes add sugar). I throw a half cup of those babies on my salad, and mix. The orange segments break down very easily, which releases plenty of grease juice. Here's my favorite salad of the moment:

Iceberg lettuce, cucumber, carrots, broccoli, one hard-boiled egg, and about half a cup of shredded chicken breast. Plus the oranges, obviously.

I'll probably try pineapple next. It's higher in sugar than I prefer, but it's pretty juicy as far as fruits go...