Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Goodbye, grains...

So after three weeks of successful grain avoidance, I feel just as great as when I stopped eating soy. Oh, I forgot to add- I also removed dairy from my diet.

I wasn't eating copious amounts of dairy, just milk with my protein shakes and a random piece of cheese here and there. But that,too, can be a trigger for women and since the culprit a few weeks ago was macaroni and cheese, I decided to cover all of my bases.

Here's a normal day, in case you're wondering what on earth I could possibly be living on at this point:

Breakfast: Eggs with thick sliced bacon (fried in a cast iron skillet, of course) or a protein shake with almond milk.

Lunch: I'm really liking shredded chicken breast on a bed of fresh spinach with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Super simple, but very yummy. I've also been eating black beans for lunch with mixed veggies.

Dinner: This is where most of my variation happens. Protein can be anything from london broil to chicken thighs to pork shoulder. And then I add in a couple different servings of veggies. Good to go. All-in-one meals like beef stew, taco salad, and brunswick stew are also regulars.

I actually don't eat snacks all that much. If I get hungry I'll have a handful of almonds or a spoonful of organic peanut butter. I think it's because I'm taking steps to have 20g of protein at every meal.

And I feel awesome. The pain pills have made their way back into the depths of the medicine drawer, and I'm focused on finishing my coursework and passing my comprehensive exams.

Bring on 2012...